Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Back in the Saddle - with gratitude, hope, and homemade pizza

As children across the country go back to school, it's time for me to get back in the saddle again - and return to writing about nutrition and activity for the future health of our children.

I have spent the past month concentrating on the nutrition of one 13-year old boy - my nephew Jimi, who had his first adventure in Montana and Wyoming. We spent most of our time at our cabin in the Beartooth Mountains - no TV, only one small video game, no restaurants - lots of hiking, biking, canoeing, kayaking, and outdoor yoga, as well as lots of cooking and eating simple, delicious homemade food.

I am grateful for the time we had together - and the semi-break that I had from work. I love what I do, but it was wonderful to concentrate on the health and well-being of one child rather than efforts to improve nutrition and physical activity for children across the country.

I am also grateful for progress on Child Nutrition Reauthorization over the past month, especially the US Senate's unanimous vote in favor of the Healthy, Hunger-Act of 2010. I hope that the House can find a way to fund school meals, WIC, and CACFP more fairly than to take funding away SNAP. More on all these topics and what actions we all can take in the weeks to come.

For now, you may be wondering about the beautiful pizza that Jimi's is holding. We made the delicious whole grain crust from Eat Right Montana's August newsletter - which you can download for free. Check the link for more pizza photos - and hot tips about whole grains and inspiring stories about strong women in Montana. Personally, I'm glad to be back in the saddle again - rejuvenated, stronger, and ready to work on the best possible nutrition and activity environments for all children.

No comments:

Post a Comment